Tuesday, July 17, 2007

11 years ago this week


I was there, taking that picture of Klaus Balkenhol and Goldstern in the Grand Prix Dressage test for the team portion of competition at the Atlanta Olympic Games. That was my first time to see the 'untouchable' European riders. No one had any doubts that Germany, whose team included Isabell Werth and Martin Schaudt as well would come away with the Gold Medal. The Anky vs. Isabell: Bonfire vs. Gigolo duel was just beginning. I got to see first hand what people talking about a few weeks earlier at a dinner function held during a clinic with Mj. Anders Lindgren when they discussed Anky's "impure walk."
The US rode to Bronze and I was excited that I had ridden in a clinic with Mr. Steffen Peters just 6 months prior. I had fewer degrees of separation from the action it seemed. These seats, were the best we would have all week even for the show jumping portion of the events as it took only panning the binoculars upward and in between the two big trees behind the ring to watch the warm-up. Fortunately, my travelling companion and mother was not offended when I spent more time watching the warm-up than the competition. Having been my show mom/groom, she got it. This was after all my college graduation present and what a treat it was.
I'd begun dressage only a year before, falling madly in love with the sport. Watching these riders, I knew I'd found my home in the horse world. What I didn't totally know then was how important so many of those memories would be for me and not merely for their sentimentality. Perhaps the most poignant thing for me in watching those games was understanding that dressage was not about doing a series of tricks and movements. The Europeans had horses that "MOVED" through and through, their bodies articulated and swung with rythm and precision. HOW they did that remained a mystery, but my quest to find out began then.
There was also the distinct differences between horses. Bonfire and Gigolo each represented entirely different 'types' of horse for the sport. While I had no personal spark for Bonfire, I was inthralled by Gigolo. Nicole Uphoff had received a special invite to the games and so I was able that one time to see Rembrandt who himself was an entirely different animal and far too hot for my tastes even though he was an incredibly elegant horse whose lightness on his feet was enchanting. Then there were the Spaniards who fielded their first Olympic team of Spanish horses. Invasor would go on to have one of the longest careers and the marvelous Evento who scored the highest of the horses on their team was simply breathtaking. The diversity and originality that the Spanish sport horses bring to dressage was undeniable from that point forward. Of all the horses, I would have taken home and still would take one like Goldstern. He was an "old man" at these games preparing to retire, and so not as elastic as he likely had been, but he was a happy horse. When I think of the "happy athlete" of our current FEI standards he comes to mind. Loose and unconstrained with great contentment described how he went. My barn today is a reflection of this, many different distinct types of horses including 3 spanish ones, but all with the aim and intention of creating happy athletes which I believe they are.
For myself at least, a formal education in international level dressage began at those games. Since then, 2 World Cups have been contested on US soil, and our own Olympic Qualifiers have moved once to the West Coast to afford more spectators the opportunity to watch some of the best in the world. Perhaps it was my position then as a "newbie" that has led me to feel such an incredible surge in understanding over the past 11yrs, but I think it has happened. Dressage in the US is more sophisticated, and has a stronger grass roots base of support. We are more knowledgeable and watch with a far more critical eye. Our standards are higher- we've "been there, done that" now. With all things, there are growing pains and as our sport has grown, not all growth is viewed as progress by all people. The education and experience base on which to debate such points however, is there.
However, the next Olympic Games is just a year away. Riders are already preparing, planning training trips to Europe, or already there competing. Our field is deeper than it has been and newer faces are emerging with up and coming horses. The European teams, particularly German and the Netherlands have also grown and are as deep as ever. Perhaps next year it won't be so "unquestioned" where the gold, silver and bronze will settle.
Can we at least dare to dream?

No comments: